Bicycles For Humanity

Welcome! Take a look at here at Bicycles for Humanity's Victoria Chapter to see what else is going on!

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Nottingham's finest

Well........it's here. I tried my best to hoodwink my inveterate bike collector friend Kryn into buying the R20 Shopper, but he didn't bite. Being the good guy he is he bought it for me. I went over to his house tonight and towed it home behind the Mundo. (I don't plan on repainting it to match, however) Other than missing the pump, toolkit, and bags the bike is stock and near mint. Original tires, Brooks saddle, the works. Other than the extra weight on the hills you wouldn't even have known it was in tow behind the Yuba. Easy. Its a funny mauve colour- The serial number starts with NB94 which according to raleightwenty.webs.com would be a 1979. One thing I did notice is that the rear brake is on the left- is this a UK model?

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, left brake rear is a the standard set up here in the UK. Not sure why, it means wou can't use the primary (front) brake when signalling to turn across traffic (ie turning right). The weird thing is, I have ridden bikes in countries where you ride on the right and the brakes are the opposite way around, so the same problem exists. I think the idea was that at the time these laws were being made, the rear brake was seen as the primary brake.

    Anyway, nice to see another Twenty adopted by an owner who will care for it. If yours is a UK model it may have 451 mm rims instead of the more common 406 mm. It should say on the tyre, but be aware that tyres other than the original type are less common. Continental do tubes which fit both sizes of rim.

    Good luck

    ReplyDelete