Bicycles For Humanity

Welcome! Take a look at here at Bicycles for Humanity's Victoria Chapter to see what else is going on!

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Runners Bikes

A short time ago, while visiting Nelson, BC, my wife bought a couple of wooden balance bikes for the kids. We knew that they wouldn't be ready for a while, but they had a pink one that we hadn't seen before. Enough said. We tucked them in the basement, intent on bringing them out at Christmas.

At the playground this morning both of these little toddlers surprised me by showing great interest in another little fellas bike- I tried to get them to walk along beside the bike and steer it- nothing doing, they had to try and sit on it.

I have now assembled their bikes and mom and I will have some fun soon.

These wooden bikes seem very popular, and kids sure seem to find their balance with them. This brand came highly recommended to us. http://www.runners-bike.com/


4 comments:

  1. That's pretty encouraging. In a couple of years you could get them onto a Raleigh Twenty and never have to worry about them outgrowing a bike again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or follow in Jim's footsteps and get another Mundo! I think the Wheels4Life edition next year will be orange!

    ReplyDelete
  3. true, that would be a whole of life investment. I've heard of people buying their children Bromptons (if they appear avid enough) on the premise that it could last them the rest of their lives. Maybe you could fabricate a smaller bakfiets suitable for a child. I bet it would be a real conversation peice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think (hope?) when the time comes my children can choose their own style of bikes/riding. As Joe George said, "ride a bike you like". J.

    ReplyDelete